West Australians are so fortunate to have a diverse and beautiful selection of native plants available to us as Perth gardeners. A native garden design can include an impressive range of colour and foliage types.
Australian native garden plants support birdlife as well as beneficial insects. Growing large flowering species such as Bottlebrush, Banksia and Grevillea will attract colourful birds to your garden.
It is a misconception that gardens planted with Australian natives thrive on neglect! It is important to prepare the soil well and to have an ongoing maintenance program for adding nutrients, pruning and care.
Some Australian native garden plants can be used to create a cottage style garden, such as:
- • Brachycome daisy
- • Boronia
- • Correa
- • Kangaroo Paw
- • Dampiera
Australian native garden design options can inculde:
- • Creating a forest of plants at various heights from tree to groundcover
- • Add gabion walls for retaining, seating areas, or dramatic entranceways
- • Using soft materials such as woodchip and sawdust for pathways
- • Incorporating large rocks, aged wooden sleepers and rough cut logs for interest and a place to sit
- • Installing nesting boxes for parrots
- • Adding screens made from timber or aged steel
- • Using red sand with grasses, for a dramatic inland desert effect
- • Building a shallow pond to sustain native frogs
- • Using sandstone for low walls and steps.
Shaded areas can be planted with Australian natives too, providing hardy and attractive options. Kentia Palms and tree ferns for height, with a deep green ground cover like Dichondra, make a great combination for a dappled light area.
If you need to cover a fence or wall, popular climbing native plants are Hardenbergia (Native Lilac) or Kennedia (Running Postman). For screening and windbreaks, the Lilly Pilly and Coastal Rosemary are both excellent performers, and new cultivars of Bottlebrush can be clipped into a low hedge.
For native garden design in Perth, Planted Passion are experienced and knowledgeable landscapers. We not only design your ideal native garden, but can work with you from preparation and hardscaping through to plant selection and ongoing maintenance.
Get a no-obligation, free quote for any of the services above.